Author: Anika at Black Girl Bliss
Go to Black Girl Bliss
What is yoni steaming?
Yoni steaming, also known as vaginal steaming, v-steaming, womb saunas, or bajos, is an ancient global practice for feminine healing and wellness.
This self-care practice not only helps to heal vaginal and uterine issues, but helps the reproductive system work the way it should and provides an intimate time for people to reconnect with their bodies.
A yoni steam uses herbs conducive to cleansing, toning, and healing, such as calendula, motherwort, red raspberry leaf, basil, rosemary, oregano, mugwort, and yarrow, amongst many others.
These herbs are steeped in a pot of boiling water, the same way tea is made. A person then pours this herb and water mixture into a bowl or sitz bath, then sits or squats over the steam so that the steam directly reaches the area around your vagina and anus, taking extra care not to burn that area with steam that is too hot.
How does it work?
The steam from the herbs steeped in hot water delivers the medicinal properties of the herbs to the exterior and interior of the vulva and vagina.Vaginal tissues (the pink parts) are very porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam can lead these tissues to swell and absorb the plant properties that travel up through the steam.
The heat and moisture can encourage old tissue in the uterus to release, which relieves various vaginal issues. Steam can also increase circulation in all the parts the steam reaches, helping your body to conduct its natural processes.
Why should you try it?
Yoni steams are reported to have innumerable benefits for the reproductive system, including:
- Regulating irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Reducing painful cramps and other uncomfortable symptoms of menstruation.
- Drawing out old uterine tissue to decrease the length of the menstrual cycle.
- Increasing fertility.
- Increasing lubrication and sexual arousal.
- Healing and restoring the reproductive system after giving birth.
- Healing and reducing fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, hemorrhoids, etc.
- Healing vaginal tears, cuts, and other injuries and issues.
- Relieving symptoms of infection and odor.
- Relieving dryness and pain during sex.
Some people say that yoni steams do nothing at best and can have negative effects at worst. However, women all over the world of all ages can attest to the benefit of yoni steams.
What do you think? Will you try it? Have you done one before? Let us know in the comments!
This article was aggregated from
Black Girl Bliss